Now that sandal season is here and you’re thinking about your next pedicure, it’s important to know the risks that can be lurking at the nail salon. The team of educators from CLn is here to make sure that you stay safe.
Let’s face it, when going to a nail salon our health is the least of our worries. Our main focus is on what color will suit the occasion or whether we want shellac or not. Plus, soaking our tired feet in a tub of bubbly warm water is heaven, right? When we treat ourselves, however, it’s important we leave the salon with nothing but lovely skin and nails.
According to podiatrist Dr. Robert Spalding, approximately 70% of nail salons do not follow state protocol for disinfection and more than a million people file reports of infection every year from nail salons.
Some of the major culprits for the spread of both fungal and bacterial infections are:
- Dull nail files that cut skin versus shave skin
- Poor training and execution of nail trimming, which can lead to injury
- Not adhering to sanitary guidelines throughout the day
Have you ever been at the salon, been nicked and then continued to have your nails painted? This has opened your skin to infection and for this reason we have compiled some tips to help you avoid compromising your health during your often necessary beauty sessions.
1. Never shave your legs right before you go to the salon. When you shave, you create minor abrasions that leave you open to infection. It’s best to wait 24 hours before heading to the salon for pampering.
2. Ask your technician to wear disposable gloves. Most nail salons do not properly deal with fungal infections and the human eye can’t detect some fungal infections. Ask your technician to wear disposable gloves to avoid the spread of any communicable diseases.
3. Use a sodium hypochlorite cleanser like CLn® Hand & Foot Wash to prevent the spread of fungus or bacteria. CLn® is a dermatologist favorite and over-the-counter remedy for skin prone to infections. You can put a dollop of CLn® Hand & Foot Wash in the basin during your mani/pedi. We also recommend using CLn® after your treatment to make sure there are no germs traveling home with you after your pampering session. As they say, an ounce of prevention . . .
Remember, taking time to get pampered is important, but we must also be smart about it. With today’s technology and available skin care, there’s no excuse to not have healthy skin.