Concealer is your go-to fixer-upper when it comes to erasing dark circles under your eyes or camouflaging a nasty breakout. But if that’s all you’re relying on your trusty concealer for, you’re missing out on the full potential of this multitasking product. To discover exactly how versatile your favorite concealer really is, give these four techniques a try.
1. Highlighting & Contouring
Highlighting and contouring may be the obsession of trendy Instagrammers and YouTubers everywhere, but it’s a technique that’s here to stay. Here’s a little secret: You don’t have to shell out for a fancy contouring kit when a concealer with a wand applicator will do the trick. Here’s how:
- Using a concealer that’s slightly darker than your skin tone, apply a thin swipe of product directly below your cheekbone.
- With a concealer that’s two shades lighter than your skin tone, apply a thin swipe of product directly over your cheekbone.
- Blend, blend, blend with your fingertips, a sponge or a beauty blender and then admire your subtly chiseled cheekbones.
For this trick, we recommend: SENNA Ray of Light Perfecting Wand
2. Eyeshadow Primer
Do you love rocking a bright or shimmery eye shadow? To give your eye color a punch of much-needed staying power for a long day of wear, your favorite concealer stick can pull double-duty as an eye shadow primer. The creamy, tacky consistency of this style of concealer acts as a sort-of virtual Velcro on your lids, hanging on to your shadow for long-lasting impact.
- Swipe a small amount of concealer across the eyelid and gently pat it in place with your fingertip.
- Wait a minute to let it set before applying your favorite eyeshadow per usual. Staying power, unlocked!
For this trick, we recommend: Dr. Hauschka Coverstick
3. Lip Primer
Have you ever loved a lipstick shade in the tube, but not so much when it’s on your lips? Using concealer as a lip primer can give your lipstick a blank canvas, effectively pumping up the color volume and delivering an end result that’s closer to the intense, vivid color you see in the tube.
- Swipe a little concealer directly on your lips.
- Pat the product in using your fingertips.
- Apply your lipstick over the top and watch that color pop!
For this trick, we recommend: Osmosis Colour Age Defying Treatment Concealer
4. BONUS: Lip Liner
Rocking a statement lip color couldn’t be hotter right now, but it’s a bummer when bright hues bleed or feather outside your lip line. Using a cream or liquid concealer as a lip liner can help keep your dramatic lip color in line from morning until night.
- Using a precision lip brush, outline your natural lip line with concealer.
- Blend well to avoid any harsh lines.
- Apply your favorite lipstick and prepare to go feather-free all day.
For this trick, we recommend: Mirabella Perfecting Concealer
Do you have any questions about how to use concealer? Share with us in the comments below, or on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using #LovelySkin!